Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Evangelism?

I've been forming a friendship with a guy over the past year in order to show him the love of Jesus in a practical way. He knows I'm a follower of Christ. Today he shared with me that one of his clients came in yesterday and basically asked him: "If you were to die tonight, how could you be sure you'd be going to heaven with God?" He didn't have an immediate answer and this person went on to point out how he was sinful and probably on his way to hell unless he repents. This person kept at it pretty hard until my friend had to walk away. I asked him how he felt about the experience and he said he's never felt more attacked in his life. He asked me if this was how all Christians behaved. I apologized and said I hoped not.

Where does someone come up with that kind of stuff? Why do they feel like they're the Judge in another person's life? What gives them that rite? Isn't just really a form of Idolatry for someone to set themselves up in a position of judgment in another person's life? And why do so many "Christians" feel compelled to "save the entire world" before they die? Isn't that God's job? Isn't our job to love people with the love of Jesus Christ and serve them and offer them hope?

I feel like the time I've invested with my friend was severely damaged by this person and I'm pretty frustrated about it...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

David Ambrose!... Hey... Greetings from California... I must say, you are the first person that helped me understand that being a follower of Christ is not about how many people you can get to cross into the Kingdom but the relationships with those people and the passion that builds when you continue to walk and grow closer to Him... I hear these stories far too often, the "scare tactic" of whatever you want to call it... It really bums me out to think people are doing this in the name of Christ... Jesus spent his whole life loving people for who they were... he could have easily forced them to fallow Him but he chose to love them and let a decision be made... I have found that once someone feels the Love God has for them they will never turn away... and what a great love it is! its good to find your blog... email me @ jeremy@pixelfreshstudios.com ... i would love to catch up! -Jeremy ("California") Coverdale