Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Silence is Golden

Every year I try to take a few days just to get away and be quiet. I think it's important for me to learn the discipline of silence. I work with people every day. I talk to a lot of people. I love people. But becasue I use my mouth so much, I also need to learn how not to use it. Silence is tough work. Learning to be quiet with God and do nothing is a challenge. But silence also brings my soul back to life again. It lets me "breathe" spiritually. On Nov. 3-6, 2008 I will be taking my annual trip to Gethsemane Monastery in Trappist, KY for a few days of absolute silence. Gethsemane has been a silent monastery since 1848 and they set aside separate weeks for men and women to come down and enjoy the silence with God. If you'd like to join me, just let me know. There may be some openings still available...

No comments: