Saturday, June 27, 2009

Another ACL Injury

Four years ago I had my ACL in my left knee replaced with a hamstring tendon by Dr. Kolias at OrthoIndy in Indianapolis. I started playing hoops again and really enjoying myself...that is until June 15 when someone undercut me at the local YMCA while I was going in for a layup. I had no where to land and my right knee buckled and I blew out my other ACL as well as damaged my miniscus pretty badly.

Off to OrthoIndy I went again, but this time Dr. Kolia was on vacation...so I saw Dr. Patel. After x-rays and an MRi, Dr. Patel confirmed that I had blown out another ACL. At first I was a little angry at the guy who undercut me. I was a little angry at God for the timing of the whole thing (I have to speak at DCLA in two weeks and then head out on a 6 week sabbatical). I had just finished taking care of my wife - who was recovering from her own surgery...and now this! C'mon God...can't I catch a break?

But then it hit me...even stuff like this is part of God's plan for my life. Somewhere in the middle of all this, he has a plan for me and my family and He wants me to learn through it all...He wants me to learn to trust Him even more. So this is an opportunity - it's an opportunity to learn to listen and slow down. It's an opportunity to allow others to take care of me (which is much more difficult than I ever imagined...). It's an opportunity to reflect on my life and see what God wants for me in the middle of it all.

So I went under the knife this past Tuesday, June 23. I had an allograft (cadavor) ACL replacement with major miniscus repair. It was a 2 hour surgery. The hospital was great! They gave me medicine to handle my nausea that I tend to get under anesthesia...and I didn't experience ANY side effects (besides saying a few crazy things). I had a nerve block in my leg too - that was interesting. My knee cap jumped involuntarily along with my toes...pretty weird. The next thing I knew, I was in the recovery room.

I've been working hard since then. I've got my Constant Passive Motion Machine (CPM) up to 110 degrees - as high as it will go - and its only been 4 days. At my follow up appointment, Dr. Patel sais I can't put any weight on my knee for two weeks! That's much different than my first surgery where I was putting weight on it right away. It's been pretty interesting as I've researched this deal on the Internet...some Docs say put weight on it right away, others don't. So for now, I'm using my crutches, trying to strengthen my leg and staying off of it for the most part. I have a full leg brace I wear when I get out for anything, and I have to wrap my entire leg in saran wrap when I get in the shower. It's been a much slower last few days to say the least, but I'm trying to see God in the middle of it all.

Its been great to have so many friends stopping by to check on me as well as a trememndous life partner to take care of me and encourage me along the way. Melody and my boys have been outstanding. I just hate feeling like a liability as I lay here and recover. I just want to walk, drive and get back to "normal" ya know? Whatever "normal" is...

Jesus, thanks for helping me through this. Thanks for what you're doing in my life by slowing me down. Help me trust you as I walk through this recovery process.

No comments: