Friday, August 1, 2008

Summer Lawn Care

Its been really hot lately where I live and I'm practically watering my lawn daily to keep it healthy and green. While I was out there watering this morning, I was thinking about how my lawn is a lot like my spiritual life. Sometimes it's really dry and starts to brown out and get really ugly-looking. Other times it's green and lush and looking great...but it takes a lot of work to keep it that way. There are bugs that try and attack my lawn at times, so I have to use fertilizer and pesticides to keep them away. I feel like there are many distractions in my spiritual life at times too! Different things try to side-track me, discourage me or knock me off course. But with the help of a few good friends I'm in community with, I manage to stay on track most of the time. Now I just wish I could get my lawn a little greener...

3 comments:

Erik Deckers said...

Unlike your spiritual life, you only have to water your lawn every few days. It truly will survive a few days without water.

Some lawn care experts believe you can even water a lawn only once every seven days, and it will continue to stay healthy.

Surprisingly, I have not heard any church authorities say the same thing.

Erik Deckers said...

Actually, that should say "NOT surprisingly, I have not heard any church authorities say the same thing."

Patty McCaulay said...

Great analogy Dave. I have tended to be a 'binge' practitioner - go away for a day or a weekend to refresh and then try to see how long I could get by. Did the same thing when I first got into recovery. Now I'm learning the benefits of being more consistent - works a lot like pulling those weeds when they're small instead of waiting until their roots have taken hold.