Monday, June 16, 2008

Nicaragua...What an Experience!

Wow! I just returned from a week in Central America...and what can I say? How can I ever possibly convey what I experienced there in a short Blog post? It's impossible to paint an accurate picture of the overwhelming poverty. But it's also equally impossible for me to describe the unbelievable love I felt from the people there. As we drove through the dump in Managua where over 1 million people call home, our bus was inundated with flies. The filth was everywhere and I wanted to get out of there as fast as I could...and then I realized that people live there every single day. Kids wake up there and go to sleep there at night...every single day. My heart broke. And then we traveled for about an hour to Masatepe where the poverty was just as bad, but hundreds of children greeted us with smiles and hugs. They were so happy that we were there to love them and serve them with the love of Jesus Christ. What a privilege! As I've reflected on my trip, I imagine it's exactly where Jesus would be if He were here living with us on the earth today. And it's exactly where I want to be too...serving whoever Jesus brings across my path with His love and grace. Thank-you for the opportunity Lord. Thank-you for stretching my soul and making me more like you...

No comments: